The National Eligibility Entrance Test (NEET-UG) is the only key to open the doors of medical colleges in India. Every student now needs to appear for the NEET Exam in order to apply for an admission to pursue a medical course (MBBS and BDS) in India. Earlier the exams were held state-wise and nation wise separately, but since 2016, NEET exam is conducted for admission to MBBS and BDS courses. This has made the competition a bit tough for the candidates. And, because of such a tough competition, many students start preparing for the NEET exam from class 11th only. While some are able to balance their preparation with the academics, others find trouble preparing for NEET along with their academics, especially during the class 12th Board.
To help such candidates, we are providing a guide on how to manage NEET preparation with class 12 studies easily. Follow the below-mentioned suggestion to balance your preparation well.
Know About the NEET Exam
When preparing for NEET Exam, you first need to be aware of important aspects such Age criteria, compulsory subjects, and percentage requirements. Below, you can find the information about these aspects.
AGE: You must be at least 17 years old and no more than 25 years old to be eligible for the NEET Exam. However, the reserved category has a 5 years age relaxation.
COMPULSORY SUBJECTS: Physics, Chemistry, and Biology or Biotechnology are compulsory for the NEET exam. The fourth subject can be either Mathematics or any other allowed subject. English should be the fifth subject.
PERCENTAGE: You must have 50% marks in aggregate of PCB (Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics).
Apart from being aware of the above information, you should also be familiar with exam pattern for the NEET exam.
Pattern of NEET Exam
- NEET is a 3-hour exam and it is held in the offline mode.
- The exam consists of 180 questions.
- For each correct answer, you will 4 marks and for each wrong answer, 1 mark will be deducted.
- Each section i.e. Physics, Chemistry, Biology (Botany and Zoology) consists of 45 questions.
When you are aware of the requirement and pattern of NEET Exam, you can follow the below-mentioned steps to manage NEET preparation with your class XII studies.
- Planning your studies is very important considering that you are going to prepare for 12th Class Board exams alongside NEET exam. Try to keep yourself attentive in classes.
- Make your study time table as per your strength and weakness in each subject. Try to give more time to your weak subjects and topics to get better at them. Take assistance from teachers, seniors, and friends to understand difficult concepts.
- Making self-written notes and referring to them on a regular basis help memorize everything well.
- Make a habit of solving NCERT syllabus based question papers and sample papers. As not only it helps in preparing for your 12th Board exams but also for NEET considering that most of the questions asked in NEET exam are based on NCERT syllabus.
- Try to complete your preparation firstly through NCERT and then refer to other text books.
- Solving previous year Board exam papers and taking mock tests frequently will not only help in evaluating your preparation but also it will help in revising your syllabus and boosting your speed significantly.
- Even when your Class 12th Board exams get over, make sure to keep the same study schedule until and unless your NEET exam gets over. Leaving a gap in your preparation after your Board exams can make you forget certain topics. So, study on regular basis to keep the syllabus refreshed and remembered in your mind.
However, you should remember that you will able to appear for the NEET Exam only if you clear your 12th Board exam with minimum percentage requirements. So, try to prepare primarily from the perspective of Board exam.